What is AI?
AI stands for Artificial Intelligence. In nowadays, AI is a trending technology in computer science. It is a broad area of computer science that makes machines seem like they have human intelligence. The goal of AI is to create systems that can function intelligently and independently. It is a field of speech recognition. Most speech recognition is statistically based, so it is called statistical learning. It is a field of robotics and pattern recognition.
So it is not only to programming a computer to drive a car by obeying traffic signals, but when that program also learns to exhibit signs of human-like road rage.
History of AI
As we know, this technology isn’t new.
– In 1950 was reason to be one of the most critical years for the introduction of AI. In 1950, Alan Turing published a paper in which he reflects on the possibility of creating a machine that thinks. So he made which is known as the Turing test. It was the first proposal in the outlook of Artificial Intelligence. This test is used to determine whether a computer can think intelligently like a human being. He recognized that thinking is difficult to define and come up with his famous Turing test. Basically, if a machine can carry out a conversation that was like from a conversation with a human being that was reasonable to say that the machine is thinking, the effect that the machine will pass the Turing test. Unfortunately, we have not found a device that has fully cleared the Turing test.
– Followed by this era in 1951, this was also known as game AI. So in 1951, by using the Ferranti Mark one machine of the University of Manchester, a computer scientist known as Christopher Strachey wrote a checker program. And at the same time, a program was written for chess as well. These programs were later improved and redesigned, but this was the first attempt at creating programs that could play chess.
– This is followed by the year 1956. Now, this is the most crucial year in the invention of AI. This year for the first time, the term Artificial intelligence was composed. The term Artificial intelligence was composed by John McCarthy at the Dartmouth Conference in 1956.
– Coming to the year 1959, the first AI laboratory was established. This period was marked in the research era for AI. So the first AI lab where the research was performed is the MIT lab, which is still running to date.
– In 1960, the First robot was introduced to the General Motors assembly line.
– In 1961, the first chatbot was invented. Now we have Siri; we have Alexa. But in 1961, there was a chatbot known as Eliza, which was introduced. The famous IBM Deep Blue.
– In 1997, the news broke down that IBM’s deep blue beats the world champion, Garry Kasparov, in chess. So this was the first accomplishment of AI. It was able to beat the world champion at chess.
– In 2005, a championship held where a robotic car built by Stanford’s racing team won the challenge. That was another significant accomplishment of AI.
– In 2011, IBM’s question answering system, Watson, defeated the two Jeopardy champions, Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings.
This how AI grows. Right now, this is the most important technology in today’s world.
Why we learn
In nowadays when seeing when we look around everywhere, everything around us is run through AI, deep learning, or machine learning. When we see since the 1950s, it has to expand growth and it’s potential. So AI covers domains like machine learning, deep learning, neural networks, natural language processing, Knowledge-based, expert system, and so on. It is also made its way into computer vision and image processing.